Success starts with HOPE
Boys Hope Girls Hope of Kansas City (BHGH of KC) is a year-round residential, academic and life-learning program that spans from middle school through college. Since opening our doors in 2006, we have helped dozens of young scholars who have the potential to succeed academically but often face educational and life challenges that make it hard to succeed. We accept students on a voluntary basis, often at the request of parents who want the best for their children but cannot provide the right opportunities for them.
Academics and more
Several things distinguish BHGH of KC from other programs. To be one of our scholars, a student must have the desire to succeed academically and have the academic potential to succeed in a college-preparatory program. And this shows – in their commitment to their schoolwork, in their academic achievements, in their study habits, and in their pursuit for a bright future.
BHGH of KC scholars usually join our program in their early teenage years and continue through high school graduation. But the road doesn’t stop there. We assist in funding college education and aid in job searches, to ensure that our scholars will be able to succeed beyond their formative years. We mentor and offer guidance beyond the scholar’s time in the house and we continue to take an interest in each graduate’s successes and challenges.
This includes, staying in touch with them during their post- high school/ college years, putting them in contact with area BHGH programs near their schools, and providing support for them during school breaks.
Where our dollars come from
BHGH of KC is 100 percent privately funded. Importantly, 90 cents of every dollar goes directly to support the scholars in a variety of critical ways:
- Education in elementary and college-prep secondary schools known for their excellence and high standards
- Encouragement and support for extracurricular activities and community service work
- Financial assistance for college tuition, books, room and board
- Regular conferences with parents/guardians
- Assistance securing internships and employment
A proven track record
BHGH of KC is an affiliate of the national Boys Hope Girls Hope program. The success of this program can be found in the following international statistics:
- Since 1991, 100 percent of the program’s high school graduates have gone on to college
- Over 80 percent of BHGH scholars participate in community service
- Approximately 75 percent of BHGH high school students achieve a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Almost 90 percent of BHGH scholars participate in at least one extracurricular activity